Tuesday 21 July 2009

6 weeks into our Glasgow adventure

Well, it's been 6 weeks and we are certainly "settled" now. That is we have the car, the house, the phone on, food in the fridge... but I still don't really know anyone here. I think that will take a while - not to mention a while to get used to.

It's strange that it's the little things that make me mad/ sad/ miss home. I get to talk to family and friends on Skype or the phone, so I feel quite close to all the people still. And thanks to the kids, I never feel 'lonely' exactly. But no rice crackers in the supermarket? I'm livid. Bad coffee? Furious! I wonder if all expats feel the same.

Already it feels strange to hear my accent, and in my head I try to 'glasgow' my sayings: doon to the hoose etc ... but then it comes out in the broad Aussie and it sounds weird!

Right now the kids (4 and 1) are going nuts. Screaming tantrum (1 yo) and kicking me (4 yo). I think being a parent teaches you an ability to block that stuff out. Oh except when you can't handle one more whinge or wheedle, then you have no patience at all.

So looking forward to my 4yo starting nursery school! I got a notice that she's been accepted into the local preschool class, which said to call the school to find out her starting date. So I searched online and found a phone number and rang it, thinking, hmmm isn't it holidays here... of course it was. When I called the council she said to call them when school goes back. Sigh. So many little things here to try to understand, I wonder if I ever will, and if I do, can we move back to Australia and fit in there?

Anyway I'm looking forward to school because it means friends. For her and me (I hope). Adults to talk to as well as a couple of hours a day to spend with my little one.

As I'm not working here at the moment, I've been cooking heaps.. which I think is the exception here. Ingredients are harder to find than pre-made meals/cakes/etc. Today I baked delicious bread rolls with olives, cheese and herbs, and we ate them all up for lunch yum. I wish someone would make me a really nice roast dinner. I'll have to put that on my wish list for our visit home in October...

Ok here ends my first ever blog :)

No comments:

Post a Comment