Monday 13 December 2010

Words I'd rather erase from my vocabulary :)

So here we are just 9 weeks 2 days till we fly out. My feelings are so mixed, we will truly all miss this place which is our home. But, we're starting to remember some of the things we've really missed about Australia which is exciting, like Sakata rice crackers, Oporto, great coffee.. ok it's all food, any expat will tell you that's par for the course. This has in fact given rise to almost unbearable homesickness.

There are some things I will not miss, here is a selection of words I'd like to unlearn.
  • Freezing fog
  • Sleet
  • Snow
  • Ice
  • - temperatures
  • Boiler
  • Radiators
  • Snow days
  • Grit
  • Vajazzle (trust me, don't google it if you don't know)

Mostly to a theme, I have really been OK with the weather, I don't know if it's harder right now because it's been so extreme so early this year, but I have been finding myself in freakout mode.

These are things I'd never really even heard of in Australia. I'm certainly not saying that the humidity and heat are easy to live in, far from it, but I'd never before been scared to leave my house due to weather (well I suppose I wouldn't like to in a thunder storm but it's not really the same fear of, will I make it to the car?)

With such a short time remaining, we are all doing our best to stay positive, keep our eyes on the prize. It feels like the end of a marathon, but somehow we need to sprint to the finish line.

I wonder if we'll emerge victorious, proudly shattering that ribbon, or slouch across with tears and recriminations. Part of me seriously wonders if we will be able to make it at all, but experience tells me we probably will.

Gotta run :)

2 comments:

  1. You can do it! Marnie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do keep writing the blog Katy - even when you get home. It will be interesting to see how you look at things when you are back in Sydney.
    Sjaan xxx

    ReplyDelete