Wednesday 22 December 2010

An atheist at Christmas

I've been reflecting lately about my journey from agnostic to atheist, being Christmas time therefore surrounded by religious images. I think in some ways I do envy people their ability to believe in religion, because it does give people a feeling of hope and a reason. However, I feel enlightened, happier and more honest to be out as an atheist. Personally, I have no need of religion. My morals, sense of wonder and purpose have taken no hit without it.

It does not form my morals, I am a very moral person. I might even high and mightily say more moral than some religious followers, as I don't believe there is a forgiver out there, instead believing we make our own lives what they are through our actions, so who can afford to make one wrong step? Of course there are mistakes, but I do try to avoid repeating my mistakes, or knowingly taking that misstep. I am responsible to myself for my actions, and ultimately my reward is hopefully the elusive 'good life', contentment, pride in a good way. I always consider the consequences of my actions on others, as they all have the same rights as I do.

I look at the night sky and I see a miracle. The miracle of billions of stars, galaxies and possibly universes; the miracle of anti matter, black holes and dimensions we can't comprehend. I look out my window and see the majesty of nature - a blade of grass, an ant carrying a load, a tree covered in snow (more likely right now tbh). I am excited and passionate, glimpsing the secrets and mysteries that are out there. I am so grateful to live in an age of knowledge and technology, rather than superstition. The achievements of humanity, good and bad, stretch out and can be explored in a way that could not have been dreamed of just a couple of generations ago. They are Awesome in the way that used to be reserved for Gods.

I have studied ancient near-eastern faith and I find their explanations captivating, their recurrences enlightening and their stories fabulous. However, I do wonder what parochialism leads people to cling to these fables so far removed from their context. How is it that people can laugh at a belief in Dionyssus or Osiris while believing a slightly different (yet equally unlikely) story? The similarities between religions to me reveal the common threads of humanity, our shared need for purpose, for understanding. They should bring us together. Instead, how many people have lost their lives in pursuit of proving their god the more powerful. I shed a tear for these victims of manipulation. We have science now, and it's just as majestic, if not as magical. Maybe it is even still magical to us, as my very VERY rough understanding of quantum physics suggests.

As to an afterlife, well the truth is noone know what happens after death. By definition we can't know. It is easy to see why people would want to utilise our grief for those who have passed by peddling stories of paradise. To control our actions now, it's so tempting to use the carrot of 'heaven' and the stick of 'hell'. "If you're not good now, Santa won't bring you any presents" I hear myself saying to my kids, but secretly hope it's not long til they're in on the joke with me. I would never deny them a childhood of believing in the unbelievable though, so will do my best to keep it from them for as long as possible.

I certainly don't begrudge anyone a sense of faith, having said that I do honestly believe the world would be a happier and more peaceful place without religion. So much masculinity, money, power and control. I am not out to turn anybody (an insult to our free will if there ever was one!) and my children are free to choose in what they believe, they are certainly not atheist children. But I hope that the ability we try to instill in them every day to question sources, examine the evidence, and ask for proof will see them prosper in life no matter what path they take.

Next time that you hear the Christmas story, I invite you to think about it. To question who wrote it and why. Let's never be afraid to ask the questions, the knowledge is the light, not a sin.

Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

  1. wonderful post. in all senses of the word : ) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find your comments interesting and would love to discuss it further upon your return to Australia. I came upon Buddhism in my 20's and found a wonderful peace within it for me and an ever-pressing desire and ability to commit to the Dharma as time has gone on more and more. Buddhism is a non-theistic religion and encourages us to take responsibility for our own actions and see their consequences and how we make our own choices. I love the idea of the absence of as much ego as possible in order to find peacefulness. Never was there a truer concept for me.
    I am not teaching my daughter about Santa and will never particularly 'get into' Christmas. Not for the fact of running from what it stands for but because it is too commercial and I do not want her growing up with me instilling it in her, as well as society at large. I will not combat it from the opposing side but allow it to come in and out of our lives without too much excitement and hype as I believe that only leads to suffering with attachment to the ideal that it 'should' be family time and gift giving time. I could personally pick any day of the year for that.
    Saying this I don't particularly agree on all points and I would be really interested in sharing views with you because I do find it very courageous for you to come forward as a strong-minded atheist. I am yet to meet someone who claims to be such who has such clear views on why.
    Love your point about Greek mythology. Well said. :)
    I also come at life from the perspective of my husbands traditional animistic beliefs and find that and my own Buddhist beliefs to have many similarities in ways I wouldn't have thought. And yet their gentle differences give us much to think over and share as a couple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In some ways, Buddhism can be seen as a philosophy, there are differences between it and other major current world religions. I agree with a lot of buddhist ideas, and was thrilled by the Gyoto Monks creating sand mandalas, butter sculptures of extreme beauty then destroying them as an exercise. I also think meditation can be useful for pretty well everyone.
    Like you say, it's interesting to talk through these things.
    Atheists have a very bad name and many people are scared to admit this, but I am proud. I'm not a nihlist, just someone trying to live a good life (like almost everyone on earth, with or without religion!)
    xx

    ReplyDelete